The e-Shram site, launched on August 26, 2021, by the Ministry of Labour and Employment under the Government of India, is designed to generate a nationwide database of unorganized employees that would be seeded with each individual’s Aadhaar number.
The e-Shram portal aims to assist people such as migrant workers, construction workers, domestic helpers, street vendors, servers, beauticians, handicraft makers, fisherfolk, agricultural labor, and others free of charge at CSCs, labor facilitation centers, and State Seva Kendras (SSKs), as well as through self-registration. It is the country’s first national database of unorganized employees.
The data comprises name, employment, residence, educational qualification, skill kinds, and family details, among other things, to understand their employability and extend the advantages of social security systems to them.
After registering on the platform, workers will obtain their e-Shram card with a unique 12-digit number and can access welfare benefits under social security programs throughout India.
Last year, on August 26, the ministry of labor and employment launched the e-Shram portal (www.eshram.gov.in) to create a national database of unorganized workers (UWs), which includes all kinds of workers.
The government previously stated in a news release, “e-Shram portal seeded with Aadhar would be utilized to distribute all social security benefits of the Central and State Governments for unorganized employees.” All eligible registered workers on the eSHRAM portal obtain an Accidental Insurance cover of 2 lacs under PMSBY from the date of policy issue.
“Under the e-Shram site, the worker’s occupation is being collected to offer workers with identities based on their jobs.” It would facilitate governments’ development of social security support schemes for all unorganized worker groups. There are 30 broad sector types of activities, 190 general and occupational families, and about 400 occupations added to the Eshram portal.
In this perspective, it is important to note that any worker who works from home, is self-employed, is paid a wage, and works in the unorganized sector (including the industry organized) but is neither a government employee nor a member of ESIC or EPFO is referred to as an unorganized worker. Between 16 and 59, any unorganized worker may register on the e-Shram site and obtain an e-Shram card.
A way to obtain an e-Shram card
Workers who successfully register on the platform will receive an e-Shram card. A 12-digit UAN number will be printed on the card. No longer will E-Shram site users need to sign up for any additional government social assistance programs.
And the UAN number is what?
After registering on the site, each unorganized worker is given a 12-digit number known as a UAN.
Once given, the employee will have a permanent, unchanging ID number for the duration of their employment.
Who can sign up?
Any employee who works from home is self-employed or is paid a wage in the unorganized sector is considered an unorganized worker.
Whose age should range from 16 to 60 years and is not a member of NPS, EPFO, or ESIC.
Documents needed to sign up on the e-Shram Portal
According to the e-SHRAM website, an employee needs an Aadhaar number, a cellphone number linked to an Aadhaar account, and a bank account number to register for the site.
Perks of e-Shram Card
- It attempts to increase the effectiveness of social security services for unorganized employees.
- No longer will E-Shram site users need to sign up for any additional government social assistance programs.
- It is intended to facilitate the integration of the Social Security Schemes for UWs managed by MoLE and later those operated by other ministries.
- To construct a centralized database of unorganized laborers seeded with Aadhaar, the Central Government created the e-SHRAM site.
- Workers can receive an insurance benefit of up to Rs 2 lakh when they register with the e-shram portal. This is under the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana.
- Rs 2 lakh and Rs 1 lakh, respectively, are awarded if the employee passes away in an accident or suffers a total physical handicap.
- Anybody registering for an e-shram card would receive Rs. 500 from the Yogi government.
- In the future, this site will be the direct delivery point for all social security benefits provided to unorganized workers.
- This database may be used to give essential support to qualified unorganized workers in emergency and pandemic-like scenarios.
How can I sign up for an e-Shram Card?
There are three simple methods to register for the e-shram card.
Self-registration is possible using the website’s e-shram portal. Please visit eshram.gov.in.
- Then, select “Register on E-Shram.”
- Enter Aadhaar linked mobile number and Captcha.
- Select “Send OTP”.
- The E-Shram registration form will open when you enter the OTP.
- Provide your name, address, email, and bank information.
- The registration will then be finished.
Additionally, registration is placed in Common Service Centers.
The state government’s regional offices in the districts and sub-districts also handle registration.
Employees who often change their information, such as their cell number or current residence, no need to renew their eSHRAM cards. They must update their account at least once yearly to keep it current.
To register on the e-shram site, employees must have an Aadhar card, a cellphone number connected to their Aadhaar, and a bank account.
You will receive a 12-digit unique number with your E-Shram card.
The Union Ministry of Labor and Employment will produce the 38 crore laborers who will receive the E Shram Card. On the EShram Card, they will receive a 12-digit unique number (Universal Account Number UAN)! so that every employee may profit at once. As you are aware, the Aadhar card serves as each individual’s identity card in India and has a unique number. Similarly, this card will give you the appearance of an Indian laborer.
Avoid Making These Mistakes When Registering
If your bank account does not undergo KYC. You should visit your bank immediately to complete the account KYC in this circumstance. The installment money won’t be credited to your account if you don’t do this. If you provide incorrect information when registering. In this case, your application can be rejected.
When applying for the e-shram card, you should be meticulous and exact when entering your information. Apart from that, it would be best to double-check your work after inputting the data.Visit the e-Shram official website for additional details.